Since tomorrow is the bite the bug event insh’Allah, I’d figured I share some facts about Malaria.
What is Malaria?
Malaria is a life-threatening parasitic disease transmitted by mosquitoes.
Top ten facts about Malaria
- Just one mosquito bite is all it takes for the malaria virus to be transmitted and potentially kill an innocent child or pregnant mother.
- Their are over 3 billion people at risk today, most of them in the African region
- Although some are under development, no vaccine is currently available for malaria that provides a high level of protection
- Five percent of African children are killed by Malaria, about 3,000 a day.
- Approximately half of the world’s population is at risk of malaria, particularly those living in lower-income countries.
- An African child has on average between 1.6 and 5.4 episodes of malaria fever each year.
- Every 30 seconds a child dies from malaria.
- The initial symptoms are malaise (not feeling well), low grade fever, body pain or cold like symptoms followed by intermittent high fever.
- Malaria costs Africa more than $12 billion in lost GDP every year
- The first time Muslims will be united for Malaria in the U.S.A. will be tomorrow insh’Allah =)
What are you waiting for? Go BITE THE BUG!
See you there insh’Allah!